Monday, September 11, 2006

To the death!

We went to a kickboxing tournament on Saturday night - it rocked! Made me miss it dreadfully. Pissed me off though, I'd planned to take the camera and ended up leaving it on the bench. Silly billy! I'm really bummed - I always love fight photos, being able to capture the feeling is what I'm after. Seeing the anticipation and determination and nearly feeling the exhaustion - that's what I aim for.

It was a great night out, until the end... the second to last fight was an ultimate fight. It was brutal, I'd never seen one of these live, just on movies etc - and hated them then! Ultimate fighting is a combination of all martial arts. It used to be considered dog fighting for humans and I understand why. Two idiots (well this is what I think they are anyway) get in the ring and it's no holds barred, they beat the shit out of each other until one is knocked out or one taps out (which they don't do because they're tough) or until the referee stops it (which doesn't happen either!). It's two 5 minute rounds (I think it's 5 minutes anyway) where they just beat the snot out of each other using any means possible. Horrible. It was so dark. The feeling in the stadium went from excited, happy to dark and revolting and the crowd turned into blood thirsy animals, heaps of people got out of their seats and were leaning on the side of the ring, banging it and shouting at the idiots. It was horrible. Chris and I felt sick. They hold each other down and smash bare fists into each others heads and faces, while slamming their knee into ribs or kidneys. Truely revolting. A lot of the time I was gripping Chris in shock and fear. A horrible experience and certainly something that I wont ever be watching again. The chanting manic crowd was awful and it actually made me ashamed to be there. Yucko.

I took this photo about a year ago when shooting a karate and kickboxing tournament. I love it, I love the look on his face.

7 Comments:

Blogger Isa said...

hey! thanks 4 ur comment. that's exactly what i wanted. I wish this words helped u as much as it help me. ;)

10:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I havent seen a kickboxing tournament or even boxing live. I manage only to see those kind of sports on TV.

3:28 pm  
Blogger S'Mat said...

ta for the kind comment on my 'who'... your quote reminds me of a verse from a love and rockets song (L&R just hit me as very clever) 'No New Tale To Tell':
"
Our little lives get complicated
It's a simple thing
Simple as a flower
And that's a complicated thing
"
You're making a special place here... woohoo!

4:40 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thanks for stopping by! This is a great shot, bummer that you didn't get any this time, but there's always next time.

3:21 am  
Blogger Sara with NO H said...

Is it me or does that guy in the pic look a LOT like Sean penn? btw, I love your profile pic. Adorable.

6:14 am  
Blogger Saffron said...

Thanks guys and yeah Sara he really does look like Sean Penn! Hadn't noticed it before but now I wonder how!

3:09 pm  
Blogger 1Green Thumb said...

That is the first thing I thought when I saw the picture :) I though it was from a Sean Penn movie. Pretty amazing resemblence.

10:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home